*Another blog feature will be reviews of “foundation/essential” pieces. These, in a sense, will be your investment pieces (though they don’t have to be at investment prices) as opposed to your trend pieces. So staples versus fads?
This Style on Target Review is for this navy oxford blazer from the Merona brand, mainly because I realized on Tuesday (when I wore it!) what a true staple this blazer is for me. First of all, everyone and their best friend has this jacket in at least one color/pattern. It is truly flattering on a lot of body types (also comes in petites and plus sizes online) and provides some structure and some layering interest when worn. A good navy blazer can really be a staple for everyone as it lends itself well to casual wear, business wear, and even can be used for “going out” outfits. Truth be told, I have this jacket in several colors and various patterns, but navy is the one I love the most. Classic, practical, and neutral enough to go with everything.
I’ve previously mentioned that I got a lot of these blazers using Cartwheel coupons and weekly ad markdowns. This blazer normally is $34.99, which is by no means cheap, but when you compare it to its J. Crew twin (running for $198 – for one more button), it makes it look a lot better (at least in my eyes right now, I am sure the J. Crew quality is beyond comparison).
Check it out online at the above link or in store!
- Fit and size selection
- Fully lined blazer
- Color choices: comes in this navy, gray (also seen on the blog), red, dark red, green, black, tan, pink, and various patterns)
- Patterned cuff lining (gives it a fun element)
- Colored collar lining (see that yellow pop of color under the collar, so cute and unexpected)
- Real pockets (that are sewn shut, but can be opened and utilized!)
- Able to be laundered at home (whomp whomp dry cleaning is for adults!)
- To get the right fit in the torso, I have to sacrifice length in the arms. This is fair enough, because I am 5’9″ and wearing a size 6 in this blazer. It is also okay, in my opinion, because I get to show off the cuff lining.
- The one button is pretty boring (would prefer gold or silver or solid dome button, instead of the flat tortoise shell).
- Definitely attract and shows dog hair (thanks to my dog Cooper!)
ps. Mad props to The Fiancé for taking the photos of me in this post and Monday and Wednesday’s outfit post. Even though I ate a lot of your salsa, yesterday. Whoops.